Sunday, July 8, 2012

Drug Free Part 2

I must mention that I devote a lot of my success to getting off of this medication because I try to live a moderately healthy lifestyle.  I limit carbonated, caffeinated, and/or sugary beverages to a minimum.  We only have these beverages in our home if company is coming and they want it or on special occasions.  I also try to exercise daily, even if it's just a few laps around the pool or a walk down the canal behind our home. 

Also, I try to stay very positive and have positive self-talk.  Yes, I talk to myself.  You do too; if you don't, you need to start.  Also, I never saw this is "I have an anxiety disorder".  I simply had a bout of anxiety that led me to have stress in my life which caused my body to betray me.  I guess that's why people just say, "I have an anxiety disorder."; it's much easier to say that. But I feel that if I say that then I am owning up to some disorder I am not willing to have around forever. 

When Ginny was pregnant with Kaylor, we went through a series of lessons associated with hypnotherapy for natural childbirth.  There was an audio track I listened to in order to help me know my place in the delivery room.  It helped me to understand how to stay calm and be there for Ginny.  I have learned that simply telling myself, "You are ok.  You are in a safe place.  You are safe.  You are fine.  Nothing is wrong with you.  Your body is ok.  Your heart is ok" among many other affirmations, I can relieve myself of the stress or anxiety.  For me, I can do this anytime but sometimes I might have to sit still with my eyes closed to get a stronger effect.

Ginny also helps in my endeavors.  Mainly, she helps as part of the team we call a family.  She fills in where I cannot make it.  She takes up my slack and I take up hers.  We work together to be sure our lives are as good as they can be.

Lastly, my strength also comes from the gospel.  I understand that prayer is important for my health and well being.

Now, I no longer take this medication and hopefully can allow stress to escape my life. 

0 comments: