Friday, September 19, 2008

Called to Serve-My first essay since I've been back to school

Within the organization of my church, there is a leap of faith. All young men, at the age of 19, are strongly encouraged to take two years to serve as a full-time missionary. From the time I was a young child, my parents have taught me correct principles to help prepare me for this journey. My parents have always taught me to look for opportunities to help others. A friend needs a shoulder to cry on. An elderly woman asks for help in yard work. Anytime someone asks for my help, I need to assist in any way I can. I knew, however, there was more.

At an early age, I developed a desire to help people, to serve. With my family, I was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints the month after my 9th birthday. Although I was young, I still knew that what I was doing would lead me to serving in the ranks of God’s army. The young men who taught my parents, sister and me of the true gospel of Jesus Christ would live on in my memory as spiritual soldiers in this army of God and help to lead me to join this call to serve, specifically as a full-time missionary. These young Elders served our family so effortlessly. Without thought to themselves, they came into our home to share with us something so special; a gift that would stay with my family and strengthen us. Also, their time with my family would lead me to follow in their footsteps and so that I too could share this gift with others.

Nothing was going to stand in my way. I had options to not serve. There was the possibility of marriage, school or a job. I even had obstacles, but nothing slowed my drive to serve. My mind only thought about serving a mission. Even from the time of my baptism, I can remember only wanting to serve as an Elder. My desire to help others shattered any other wants, like a brick whirling through a pane of glass. To be honest, there were times of brief doubt or instances where I had to ponder if this was what I really wanted to do. This was two years of nothing but service. I’d be far away from my home. I would have no access to television, I could only call home twice a year, and I couldn’t date or even attend school. My life as I knew it would be put on hold. This was a decision I would need to make if I were to share this magical gift with others. As fast as electricity responds to flipping on a light switch, these concerns, these doubts were outshone by all of the positive things that this mission would bring to others.

As a servant of the Lord, I shared my testimony of truth to thousands of people. I bore strong witness to people who never heard of Jesus Christ. Through the spirit of Christ, people were converted to the knowledge that He lives. My ability to serve was not only spiritual. I slugged through manure to help clean out horse stalls. Some of my time was spent shoveling glass or gathering newspaper for a recycling center. During the winter with shovel in hand, I walked from house to house offering to shovel sidewalks and driveways. This, all of this, was worth the small sacrifice of two years. What better could I have done in two years on my own? I learned so much about service, which leads to the love of others. To be part of this force to serve helped me more than if I would have attended college for two years. If I would have worked for those two years, I still wouldn’t be as rich in spirit and life as I would have been monetarily. Stepping out of my life and into the ranks as a spiritual soldier continues to help me to serve others.

Today, I still see benefits of my mission. My ability to notice when someone needs a helping hand has increased. Most of my time as a missionary was spent talking to others about things that are very important to me. Certain points of doctrine aren’t understood by some of the people I taught which has instilled in me a judge not philosophy. I don’t judge people just because they think differently than I do. I can discuss things better now when I enter a disagreement. Before my mission, I might not have been so open-minded. I’ve learned patience as I’ve struggled to teach people who want to learn but won’t change their lifestyle to prove it. This all attests to my parents helping me, teaching me, and setting a good example for me to do what is right; of which I will always be grateful. This call to serve came from God but started through my parent’s decision to teach and give the very best to their son, the gift of service.

1 comments:

Jodi said...

Hooray for you! I'm so happy you served and that it still impacts your life.