Monday, October 6, 2008

Don't fall of a roof while you work, doo doo doo...

I really can't believe I haven't written anything about this already. No, I haven't fell off a roof, yet. But I do work for a company where it can be a possibility. So if anyone in South Louisiana needs a roof-let me know!!!

So I'm an estimator (there is a better title but it has slipped my mind for the moment, maybe I'll edit this post lata.) for a roofing company. Basically I measure roofs, explain to the home owner how much it is and why we are taking enough money for a new car to replace their roof and then, theoretically they are supposed to pay us to do it. I have only been estimating for 2 weeks, and I haven't seen the fruits of my labor yet. I mean, on the mission, I'd at least have a second appointment by now. But people are taking their time, it's a big investment, I understand.

So the first roof I attempted to climb on was my own. One of my roommates owns the house in which I reside in-not completely living in my car J.A. In my normal gung-ho (where the hud did that saying originate?) fashion, I pulled out my brand spankin' new gorilla ladder and shimmed on up. I got to the top of the ladder and said, "this isn't so bad." I started to get up on the roof (fyi, my hands a seriously sweating as I'm typing this) and my foot starts to slip so immedeately, I turn around and sit down to try to brace my self from plummeting to the concrete below. After 15 minutes (I'm sure it was only seconds) I calmed my self down. After I realized I wasn't going to die, my mind was flooded with possibilities of escape. I had my cell phone with me, who could I call to help me off the roof. Option 2, if I jump off the roof, I can land on that bush over there and not break too many bones. Option 3, if I fall be sure to bend the knees and roll as to not break my legs...seriously my mind is crazy! Finally, I muscled, I mean pysched myself out, enough courage to get my fat butt off that roof. After on the ground, I prayed gratitude like never before. I also vowed never again to get on another roof-EVER! After all, I've been taught ways to measure roofs from the ground-easy!

Since this horrific even, I've actually overcome my fear of roofs, well some roofs. I've been on a few which really aren't that bad. Our roof is fairly steep and I won't be back on another one that is our pitch again.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Oh Bub. What I wouldn't give to hear you tell that story in person. Ha ha. I'm glad you made it down okay.

And, living in your car is always good to have as a back up.

Also, that deleted comment was sadly just a double comment. I wish it was something scandalous. Alas, it wasn't.

Lady Gwynyfwar said...

ROFLMBO! Oh man! I have tears pouring down my face! I guess you can kick your side job as the Fiddler...

Tim and Ginny Garner said...

I fo' sho' ain't tryin' to fiddle about anything up there, especially not with a violin/fiddle!

BrandieLeesa said...

Oh Tim! Dear Tim you seriously crack me up! The story is just as funny in person as it is on your blog!! Man!!